Bret is the muffin man. I believe he cooked his way through the entire muffin section of Vegan with a Vengeance.
He even made Ginger Raisin Bran Muffins. But this time I made muffins of my own! Raisin Bran Muffins! No ginger, although I do love ginger a whole lot.
I had a muffin almost directly out of the oven, a puff of steam billowed out at me when i broke it open. This muffin was incredibly moist for being bran, and has no added fat. The fresh muffin wasn’t dense in the slightest.
Honestly, I just subbed vegan ingredients for your basic All Bran muffin recipe. I did use a vanilla flavored soy milk, which added a bit more sweetness than I think there would be otherwise.
Raisin Bran Muffins
makes 12 muffins
2 cups bran cereal
1 1/2 cup soy/rice/almond milk of your choice (I used a low fat vanilla soy milk)
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
egg substitute for one egg (I used 1 1/2 tsp. Ener-g egg replacer with 2 Tbsp. water)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup raisins
1) Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2) Combine bran cereal and milk in a medium bowl, and set aside for fifteen minutes to soften.
3) Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in another bowl.
4) After bran cereal has softened, mix in egg replacer and applesauce. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir until moistened.
5) Add in raisins.
6) Divide mixture evenly between 12 muffin cups that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes in 350F oven.
7) Cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin, then remove to cooling rack.